My character (Fairy Mai), was created so I could host a party in Spring and Summer for 4-9 year olds. It is called Fairy Mai's FairyTivities. In addition to the party, i teach workshops for making FurNature and fairy wings for homeschoolers. I will keep you posted about getting ready for the event, the event itself, and pictures of it.

Monday, May 7, 2012

The acorn hat

Oh yes, and I'm also nearly finished with making Chestnut the Elf's acorn hat- This is how I made it.
First- I demolished a bunch of Trader Joe's bags and soaked them in gluey water.
Then I made a loop out of coathanger that can fit over his head.  I laid the strips of gluey- wet paper over the wire in an overlapping pattern so that it made a hat.
I then let it dry.  And painted it dark brown.
Then for the hard part- the pinecones.
I've noticed that if you look at an acorn cap really, really closely, it looks like teeny tiny little shingles.
And what better shingles to use than the ones from a pinecone?
So, over several weeks, I pulled each little shingle one by one from a bunch of pinecones my grandma found, and hot- glued each individual one onto the papier- mache hat- shell. 
It looks really awesome now, and I've only got six inches left!

No comments:

Post a Comment